Monday, February 8, 2010

Surgery

Our little man, Wylie, is going in for surgery tomorrow morning. They'll be cutting the frenulum under his tongue, so he won't be tongue-tied anymore.
I know its a minor surgery so I shouldn't worry, but there is nothing comforting about my little guy being put under.

You can see in this photo (from several month ago) that the tip of his tongue is basically "tied" down to the floor of his mouth...see how it pulls in the middle?
...so he can't lick an ice cream cone, stick his tongue out at his sister, french-kiss (when he's 30), etc.
One of the major reasons we've decided to go through with the surgery is so that it doesn't effect his speech
.
Oh, and I just learned that my dad was born tongue-tied! However, his was clipped right after he was born. I've always read that it could be genetic but my Mema just now shared this information about my dad...he didn't even know!

Anyway, we check in at 7am and the surgery should begin around 8:30.
Please keep him in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I'll be praying! Thats never an easy wait for a Mom and Dad. Hope everything goes well and that he can start licking those ice cream cones soon! That is an important part of being a toddler! Such a cute little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph- How did it go? I know Jayme's little girl Gracie had the same thing and she had hers clipped as well and it definitely improved her speech. Anyway, I'm sure everything went well, but let me know!
    Alli

    ReplyDelete